Linggo, Marso 27, 2011

In Memories of Gallantry

                                                                            
   

 Such things that I always love to do are road  and nature tripping. It gives me that refreshing feeling when I spend hours of travel along rice fields and mountains. Last week, our team was sent to Bataan for a work assignment in the Balanga proper, we then took the opportunity to sight some famous places in the province. On our way back we saw signage on road saying that Mt Samat was kilometers away so we all conceived the idea to visit the popular Shrine there since we were hearing good things about the place.





During my schooling days when we were having our history class, I was always curious about the Bataan Death March. I never knew so much about this event but I always find it as an interesting subject for documentary and film projects. I never thought that time will come when I myself will be there on that exact place where the cruel battle against the Japanese Imperial Army happened during the Battle of Bataan in 1942.  




We moved up to the highest point of Mount Samat where the Dambana ng Kagitingan or Shrine of Valour located. We took the same winding uphill route where the sick and starving American and Philippines soldiers dragged their way when they were led on the Bataan Death March on April 9, 1942, the Fall of Bataan. We were grateful then that we went in day time because we were quite sure the site holds a lot of creepy stories about the disturbed souls of soldiers who died there. 

 
  We were awed by the wonderful site in the top because from there you can view the Bataan and the Corregidor Island. Located in the area is the Colonnade and Memorial Cross, built to honor the heroic struggle and sacrifices of the soldiers who died fighting in that remarkable fortress of freedom. We entered the towering Cross and using the elevator we moved up the structure who stands 92 metres (302 ft) from the base. 
















There’s a viewing gallery on the arm of the cross where you can peak below and see for yourselves how high you’ve gone   from the ground.




           
In the exterior of the Cross are sculptural lumps depicting historical figures and events like the execution of Jose Rizal, Lapu-Lapu and Antonio Luna. It was only a short-time visit because after taking pictures and minutes of site-seeing we then went back to the car and started on our way back to Manila. 

But overall, it was a great experience that I’ve come to set my feet on that historical site. After then I look forward to come back and know more about the things that happened there 70 years ago. Hopefully, I’m up to some good project when I go there again soon…

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento